Companies are welcome to arrange their own venue if they so wish.
This could be a building, a tent, a vehicle or any other controlled space to which an audience might be admitted, or a public space such as a park or a street.
- The closing date for applications is Friday 25th March.
- The performing company will be responsible for any costs and permissions associated with the venue but Fringe TheatreFest will be happy to offer advice.
We have blanket permission for use of most outside areas in the town.
Alt Space performances can be of any length.
Companies are welcome to perform as many (or as few) times as they wish, so long as we have the capacity to steward the events adequately.
Alt Space performances operate on a pay-as-you-will basis.
We provide a steward with a collecting-bucket and companies keep 100% of monies collected.
Alt Space slots are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis - so early application is advisable.
There will be 32 slots available.
Applications will be made through an on-line application form.
If the 32 slots are already claimed before 25th March, companies will be put on a waiting-list in the order in which they applied, in case a slot becomes available.
Companies working in Alt Space venues will pay a £100 participation fee which will be fully refunded so long as the company fulfils its performance commitments.
We won't collect the participation fee - and therefore participation won't be confirmed - until we're clear that the activity can go ahead in the chosen location.
Companies are responsible for their own Public Liability Insurance.
We will need to see confirmation.
We will happily advise on cheap options.
Music used in a performance may be subject to PRS or PPL terms and conditions, dependent on the precise usage.
We do our best to provide free billets for out-of-town companies in order to keep the cost of participating low - though Covid concerns means less availability than in previous years. In return for being billeted, companies and individuals will be asked help out with four hours of volunteer duties that support Barnstaple Fringe TheatreFest.
There are buildings and businesses that Fringe TheatreFest has a relationship with and sites that have proved popular in the past.
- Bridge Chambers boasts one of the most attractive halls in Barnstaple. It has large windows that provide atmospheric natural light but we would explore with companies interested in using the space what would work best for all in terms of blackout. It is on the first floor and there is no lift so is not wheelchair accessible.
- St Anne's Arts & Community Centre is a wonderfully atmospheric old chapel. It is not accessible to wheelchairs.
- The Tent on The Strand has become an iconic feature of Fringe TheatreFest. This year it will host a plethora of informal events - workshops, taster sessions, talks and so on - with a small number of performance slots available for Alt Space productions.
Barnstaple Library has hosted performances in previous years both in the children's area and in the main body of the Library.
Green Lanes Shopping Centre has hosted performances in several sites throughout the centre over the last couple of years, including their central display area, the top of their car park and in a vacant shop window.
Boston Tea Party hosted a children's show upstairs in their coffee shop in 2018 which worked well for all. It is not accessible to wheelchairs.
The High Street is a great outside venue for classic street entertainment - and the crowds have been generous.
Castle Green and Castle Mound have both worked successfully as venues for dramas.
The Green has acres of room; the Mound is picturesque and atmospheric with a limit of about 40 punters.
It's a moderately steep climb to the top of the Mound.
If you're interested in learning more about these specific sites, contact us before putting in an application so that we can put you in touch with the right people.
follow the link to the Alt Space application form
you may also be interested in regular venue information
You are more than welcome to contact us with specific questions.