a broad overview
- Fringe TheatreFest is a four-day festival in Barnstaple, North Devon.
- Fringe TheatreFest embraces the widest possible range of theatrical forms.
- Fringe TheatreFest is based on the Canadian Fringe model: non-juried; 100% box-office or pay-what-you-will income returned to companies; the Festival provides the infrastructure, allocates venues, timetables the programme and sets ticket prices.
Fringe TheatreFest events take place under two headings:
Regular Venues - ticketed venues equipped by Fringe TheatreFest;
Alt Space venues - pay-what-you-will venues with any technical equipment supplied by participating companies. Outside locations are included under the Alt Space heading.
a little more detail
- Fringe TheatreFest is not juried or curated - companies are picked from a hat for Regular Venues and accepted in order of application for Alt Space venues.
- 10 Regular Venue slots are set aside for North Devon companies, 2 for international companies and the other 35 are open to companies from across the UK.
- One application per company for Regular Venues but multiple applications can be made for Alt Space venues.
- Fringe TheatreFest timetables the programme and sets ticket prices (£6, £4 concessions, £3 if using a Frequent Fringer Voucher).
- 100% of the ticket revenue or pay-what-you-will income is returned to the companies.
- In Regular Venues companies are offered a 3-performance slot. Companies able to commit to all three performances will take priority. Shows in Regular Venues open on the Thursday or Friday.
- Companies performing in an Alt Space venue are welcome to perform as many (or as few) times as they wish, so long as we have the capacity to steward the events adequately.
- Regular Venue companies will pay a £100 participation fee, £65 of which will be refunded so long as they fulfill their performance commitments.
- Alt Space companies will pay a £100 participation fee which will be refunded in full so long as they fulfill their performance commitments.
- A large group of experienced volunteers provide box-office and stewarding. There is a technician to operate lights and sound for shows in Regular Venues.
- The Festival markets and publicises the event as an entity. Companies market and publicise their own shows.
- Companies must have their own Public Liability Insurance.
- We do our very best to find free billets for companies from outside North Devon if so required.
why apply to Fringe TheatreFest?
Fringe TheatreFest provides an affordable context in which to develop new work, to give further life to existing productions and to introduce a company to North Devon audiences, to local and regional promoters and, where appropriate, to schools and colleges.
But primarily Fringe Theatrefest is a meeting place to forge new relationships and somewhere to be inspired by a host of interesting productions as well as to inspire others with what you have to offer.
Fringe Theatrefest is probably one of the lowest-cost Fringe Theatre Festivals in the world because the outlay is so low.
But, whilst it won't break the bank, it won't make anyone's fortune.
In 2018 the average box-office take for a three-performance run in a regular venue was £232.
The highest earner grossed £715.
The lowest earner grossed £65.
Alt Space takings varied enormously as some acts didn't set out to make money.
The top earning street act made £477.
Fringe TheatreFest 2019 will have room for 47 companies in Regular Venues and for a further 32 Alt Space companies.
how to apply
select the appropriate link:
You are more than welcome to contact us with specific questions.